A little history on Fay’s Candies…
Mouth watering aroma of warm chocolate fills the little candy shop in the town of Pleasantville, Pennsylvania where Fay Parks and her helpers are busy filling candy orders for Christmas in the 1960’s…
Fay Lehman-Oldham-Parks started her business in the 1950’s along Route 56 in Rummel, next to Windber, PA, with her cousin, Florence (Flossie) Lehman. They called it Flossie Fay’s Candies.
When Fay’s first husband, Irwin Oldham died at a young age, Fay moved to Altoona where she met and married Ed Parks. They later moved to Alum Bank, PA to open a restaurant, The Village Dinette.
Fay had her candy shop in the basement of her home and the shop become Fay’s Candies. Fay never advertised but had a sign outside that said ‘CANDY’ and business grew rapidly. Fay’s Candies grew and grew. Fay would always say “If you have a good product, people will buy” and they did.
Fay had many good helpers over the years that dipped chocolates and packed orders for shipment. She was very particular with how they looked and tasted. She used the best chocolate she could find and perfected her recipes.
The same chocolate and recipes are used today by two excellent Chocolatiers (makers and hand dippers), Connie Weaver and Roxanne McDonald. Both women have a strong history with Fay’s Candies. Connie has worked for Fay’s since 1981 and worked with Fay for seven years. Roxanne’s mother, Betty Berkey worked with Fay also.
in December 2000, Fay’s Candies was purchased by Rick and Trudy Barefoot to keep this delicious and beautiful hand dipped business alive. Stop in today and try some of those original recipes that are still used today!